Welcome to our Blog!

We're so glad you're here! Welcome!


Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Fort Ridgely! What a Great State Park!

I've been wanting to visit Fort Ridgely for a long time now. Sam is such a military history buff, I just knew he would love it here. We have the State Park Passport and have made it our goal to visit all 72 of Minnesota's State Parks. I was happy to get it stamped here.


Who knew Ridgely Creek was a clear, babbling brook and also a DNR trout stream? We're definitely camping here someday. The bottom was sandy/pebbly, and there were tons of minnows of all sizes. Sam got bit by the trout fishing bug here!


Sam could hardly get his socks off fast enough! This is near the picnic area, which they seem to use as overflow camping as well. Great rustic sites. The campground was great too. A family with a big tent and small kids had this little sand spit right in front of their campsite. We soon found out why their kids were having so much fun.




Charlie went along with us. He's too little for the kennel. He was a great traveler! He wasn't so sure about the water.




He tolerated a dip in. Check out those muscles.





Sam searched for minnows, tried to catch a few, and checked out the rocks.




















After a picnic lunch, we reluctantly left the creek. I could have spent all afternoon there with my feet in the water and a book in my hands, but there was more to see. We toured the campground, checked out the only MN State Park golf course (which looked really hot and hilly), and saw the ruins of Fort Ridgely. Well, Charlie and I checked out the ruins, the boys went inside the museum. Very interesting.

I'm currently reading, Uprising by Dean Urdahl It's a novel about the Dakota Conflict that took place during the Civil War here in the Fort Ridgely area. I always like to read about places I've visited. This is an easy read, a bit fluffy, but enjoyable nonetheless. I love being able to actually picture the setting of the book.






We headed back to Redwood Falls in search of a fishing license, a trout stamp, and Darren's fly rod (which was conveniently stowed in the camper). Sam and Darren went to the designated trout stream at Ramsey Park and caught and released a few brown trout while I blissfully finished a book back at our campsite. Charlie ate some sticks and napped.
Hot dogs for supper and then early to bed for me. I had some kind of allergic reaction and got all stuffed up. Two Benadryl later I was silly, then sleepy, then comatose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! We'd love to hear from you.